My first day! I was nervous, but I think I was mostly overthinking things. Today was productive. I set up my workstation and got to know some of the people at CDOT. It's hard to do anything on our project right now because we haven't yet met with the client, but in a way, we're already ahead of the curve.

We learned that the client uses ASP.NET for their current application. While investigating ASP.NET, we managed to get an ASP.NET 2.0 web application created in Visual Studio running in a Linux environment using the Mono framework on Linux Mint. Our workstations are also now able to develop ASP.NET applications using an IDE called Project Rider. Mono officially supports up to ASP.NET 4.5, but for now we were only able to get up to 2.0 working. With the rising importance of using and building open source software, this bodes well for our mission to create excellent open source software to help our client.

I can't wait to begin the project itself!

Note: This was originally posted on the blog I used for my co-op term while at Seneca College (mswelke.wordpress.com) before being imported here.