CDOT - Unit testing streamlined and documented, new landing page for project website
April 07, 2017
By now, the end of the week, we've accomplished a lot to help polish what we created. We streamlined the unit testing by wrapping any commands needed to run them into "npm test". This helps a lot because some unit tests are in Mocha, a unit testing framework for Node.js, and some are pure Node.js, because they involve more complex logic where it wasn't clear to us right away how to use Mocha to do them. Project contributors can run "npm test" for any of our modules and it will automatically execute all unit tests for them. This is also now reflected in the documentation, in a section dedicated for informing potential contributors how to do so.
I've also created a new web page for our project which people see instead of our documentation when they go to the root URL of our website. I wanted something more marketing-like to be presented to the visitor, something pure HTML/CSS/JS with no build tools involved so that I could tweak it easily and do whatever I wanted to it. But I still wanted to keep the documentation using Mkdocs, a static site generator, because that's a better way to write documentation.
I now have two separate GitHub repo, both set up for GitHub pages, with the documentation in the second repo. I've replaced the contents of the first repo with this new web page, and it links to every other resource associated with our project. It has a link to the Documentation, our Google Group, our GitHub organization, and our NPM modules. As the visitor scrolls down, they get a quick idea of the features Rutilus has and how to set it up quickly. It serves as a good "quick start". If they want more details, they can follow the documentation link to read all the detailed stuff I wrote before.
At this point, as the project wraps up, I'll be updating the documentation with the new features my team mate has been producing recently and proofreading it.
I really like how this all feels now. It feels like a really polished and ready to go open source project. It's been a great experience and I'm sure I'll be proud of the work I've done when the project ends in a few weeks.
Note: This was originally posted on the blog I used for my co-op term while at Seneca College (mswelke.wordpress.com) before being imported here.