Over the past few days, I've been working on the back end API along with my team mate. There's nothing terribly exciting to report there. It's just making the C part of an MVC app. However, what's more "exciting" to report is the fact I was unexpectedly charged about $27 on my AWS account we're using for research and testing. We try to test everything locally, seldom running things on the cloud, but we needed to set up a little bit of stuff to explore it and learn how it all fits together.
We accidentally provisioned too much throughput for DynamoDB, more than the free tier allows for. This was what caused the charges. I looked online for instances of this happening to people and looking for how Amazon support would react in the situation, and I found forum threads where Amazon support mentions their willingness to work with people over crazy high bills. This gives me hope that I'll have my charges easily reversed.
I submitted a case and we'll see what happens. In the mean time, I'm now looking more into AWS user privileges etc to make sure it doesn't happen again. I set up alerts, and I'll soon be switching to an IAM account where I can limit myself to only have certain access. Their IAM user setup is similar to how Linux prevents damage to systems by not giving the root user root privileges. While Linux makes you use sudo, the AWS IAM accounts won't even be able to use sudo. It'll be like setting up strict parental controls.
Ironically, this is the exact sort of thing I needed to research today anyways as we prepare to gain access to Engineering.com's AWS account.
And I'd rather not charge them $27, so I best be careful. >.>
Note: This was originally posted on the blog I used for my co-op term while at Seneca College (mswelke.wordpress.com) before being imported here.